Wednesday, September 16, 2009

A Personality-Identity Crisis

It makes perfect sense. You should know your "exercise personality". After all, if you enjoy a particular activity, you’ll stick with it. If you don’t, you’ll find every excuse to get out it.

Exercise is hard work – if it was easy, we’d all be doing it. But just like brushing our teeth, it’s something we have to make time for. You may never love exercise, but exploring your personality, your lifestyle and what types of activities motivate you, may just help you find a workout match made in heaven – a match that could save your life.

I'm on this soapbox because I'm currently working on an exercise personality segment for Studio 5 -- and through hours of research, I've taken a few personality tests... well, more than a few. You'd think the more you complete, the more you learn about yourself, but for me, it's turned into a bit of a personality-identity crisis. Eh, not a crisis, but certainly, I've gotten a few conflicting results. So, if you find this the least bit interesting, let me save you some trouble. DON'T google "exercise personality" (unless you have lots of time to meander :). I found 2 quizzes I really liked, here they are:

For a thorough exercise personality assessment, try The 8 Colors of Fitness quiz by Suzanne Brue. Her quiz is based on the based on the widely accredited Myers-Briggs Type Indicator, the personality assessment used by organizations and schools to help understand individual differences in personality.

For a quick and easy assessment, try What's Your Fitness Personality quiz found on About.com. There are multiple quizzes of this nature found online, but I like this one best as the questions and recommendations are relevant, practical and clear – it’s easy to get up and get moving after a quiz like this.

Let me know what you think! Does it really matter? Can a quiz really help you find your thing? Maybe, maybe... guess you'll never know until you try ;)

3 comments:

  1. Melanie,

    I somewhat disagree with the "finding your fitness personality" theory.

    I believe there are points of fitness that should never be avoided despite whether you like them or not.

    I believe that your body has systems that if left unused make you less healthy, functional and fit.

    I believe that "finding your thing" and performing that kind of exercise to the exclusion of other types of exercise is likely to leave your health lacking.

    For example what if you decide that your "thing" is walking? Although vigorous walking is adequate for improving cardiovascular health, it does not address anaerobic health, flexibility, balance, muscular stamina, power, agility etc. All of these points of fitness listed have valuable/crucial benefits to your health. Walking has none of these. In fact, walking doesn't address the upper body in a way that would improve day to day function hardly at all.

    I think it better to learn and address all points of fitness that will improve your health. Doing so will lead to a more functional and healthy lifestyle. I think it would be a shame to see someone sink a lot of time and effort into a one-dimensional type of fitness and only reap the benefits of a fraction of their efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job on your blog Mel! Wish I was as motivated as you. I think I better take one of your exercise personality tests, I'm in a bit of a slump right now. Sounds like a great idea to me! Why not do something that you will stick with and that fits you?
    Keep up the good work ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fitzoner, all good points! I agree we need versatility and cross-training. This quiz concept is really for those who are currently inactive and it serves as a catalyst to starting "something" that gets them active, which we all hope, they will continue to explore and learn about themselves and what makes their bodies feel healthy and strong. That perspective wasn't explained AT ALL :) so thanks for pointing out other essentials to total health and wellness.

    And Michelle, thanks for your feedback... I always knew you where a "go getter" ;)

    ReplyDelete